Wednesday, September 1, 2010

New vs. Cliche


I hate that 3pm has become a routine wake up time for me no matter how early or how loud I set my alarm for the morning. I totally miss out on half the day when humans are actually awake and on the move. Instead I'm up all night alone in the living room with the laptop burning my lap watching reruns of How I Met Your Mother, which I've already seen too many times! Multiple reruns can bore the heck outta me but Barney never ceases to entertain. Hahh. Dee, wait for it! Lightful! LOL.

Lately I've been pretty obsessed with Criminal Minds and it's all Afi's fault! Months ago she'd been constantly talking about it and insisting I watch it and check out this particular character, Spencer Reid. Which of course NOW I understand what the whole fuss with Reid was about, thank you very much. Sarah had also mentioned the show to me before and somehow ALSO emphasized on the same character. Back then, I was just not into the whole idea of the show especially when all I knew about it was that the main guy is played by "that dude from Dharma & Greg". Hahaa. It took me quite a while to consider watching it. Then Astro added FOX to their line of channels & they would have Criminal Minds marathons on weekends.


Matthew Gray Gubler as the smexay genius, Spencer Reid.

I have no choice but to watch it when Afi gets a hold of the remote when she comes home. Turns out, the show is not that bad and is actually pretty interesting. A rather refreshing scene compared to the usual forensics we see on the numerous CSI shows, which I also like but not as much. The agents on Criminal Minds are profilers. They can tell a person's background or how that person's mind works through studying their activities or simply observing their movements. It's impressive. Really. It's fun to watch especially if you're not much of a chemistry fan. The characters seem realistic and unscripted, effortless which is great.

Unlike that other show, NCIS. I don't get why it's even a top favourite show in the US. I've watched a few episodes before. Even the commercials are annoying enough. I don't know, the characters are just too cliche for me. The hot witty player - in love with the girl but won't admit it, the hot serious girl - in love with the hotty but acts like she's too cool for him, the chief - never ending family issues, the awkward goth - secretly geeky and all cutesy. Haahh! Cliche is okay when it's not too obvious. Yeah so NCIS - not a fan.

One more show I'm sooo in love with at the moment. I actually started watching it months ago after hearing about it from a friend. Drop Dead Diva! It's already in its second season, I just watched the season finale on Monday and unfortunately will have to wait I'm not sure how long for the next season. The wait is gonna be tough due to its level of awesomeness!

This trailer will basically tell you everything you need to know about the show.

I think this show is pretty easy to like. I like that most of the characters are played by new actors & actresses. The roles they play in the show are practically the biggest ones yet for most of them whose past roles have been mostly either supporting or extra. For the main girl Jane Bingham, this is actually her first TV role if I'm not mistaken. Her best friend (in the show) Stacey played Candy the bimbo in one of episodes of Two And Half Men. LOL.

When I first started watching it, I had no one to talk to about it, so I made Zetty watch it too. Hahaha. Now my sisters watch it too, so it's been like a party every episode. Instead of the trailer, I wanted to show the opening title they play at the beginning of every episode, which is a short intro of what the show is about. My sisters and I practically memorize the whole thing, haha. Couldn't find it on YouTube though, so the trailer it is.

Drop Dead Diva cast. the gnarly bunch :)
From left : Stacey, Terri, Parker, Jane, Greyson, Kim and Fred.

I don't wanna give out any spoilers. So if you feel like watching it go ahead, and do get back to me and tell me what you think :) I actually wrote this post yesterday but I've been continuing on it on and off ever since. It's 7.43am right now. Haven't slept yet. I'm beginning to feel the hangover headache coming. Talk more soon?

Till then

No comments: